Wednesday, July 27, 2011

I want to be the King of Spain

After a lovely weekend spent in Melbourne with Dylan I finally made my way to the airport to start the trip I had been working hard for and planning for so long. The plane was slightly delayed but still got to Qatar on time for me to get my connecting flight. Three planes, two buses and a train later I arrived at my hostel without any major dramas. Arriving red in the face from cold Melbourne carrying a jumper, a jacket and a huge scarf (which were clearly not needed in the 30+ humid Barcelona weather) I was immediately welcomed by a girl from Brazil, two girls from Paris, and four girls from Amsterdam. I had truly arrived in Europe.

After an early night and a few hiccups on the Spanish metro (accidentally buying the most expensive ticket and going two stops in the wrong direction) I finally made it to the main center of Barcelona. Walking with my mouth open looking up at the rambling terrace apartments I wandered through the city before ending up at the end of La Ramblas. I sat in the shade watching the crazy Spanish drivers and finally listened to my favourite song King of Spain. In Spain, which I had been waiting so long to do. I arrived at the hostel to a big hug from Luey and we spent the rest of the night attempting and failing to make a cheap backpackers omelette for dinner.

Wednesday was spent travelling 2000 years back in time through Barcelona and the ancient ruins of the Roman city. We got (slightly) lost through the rambling streets but stumbled across the best coffee I have ever had and an amazing art museum with the best complementary champagne I have ever tasted. We discovered the markets and had a colourful feast of fresh fruit and bread and have spent the rest of the evening swapping stories with Irish and Norwegian backpackers.
It's so surreal that I am suddenly on the other side of the world but 2 days in and I can't wait to see what happens next.

Until then
Sarah x







^Ordering coffee in Spanish with Luey

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Sarah for the blog!! Sounds like you had a great time meeting people in Barcelona. You will be waking up in the eternal city this morning. Hope you get to hotel OK. Dad

    ReplyDelete