Saturday, August 27, 2011

It's just near the huge castle

After a painless train ride from Kings Cross in London I arrived in Edinburgh. The first thing you notice about the city is the massive castle on top of the massive rocky hill. It's kinda hard to miss. Now that a rain coat and umbrella are staple items in my bag, the amazing view makes up for walking around in the rain.


On my first night in Scotland I went out to dinner to try Haggis, which was actually quite nice. I also spent a day seeing the tourist sights including the Castle and school which JK Rowling based Hogwarts on, and the cafe where she wrote the first two books.
The rest of my time has been spent drifting between street performances and from one free fringe show to another (The Edinburgh Fringe is like the Adelaide Fringe but bigger, and with more castles). After meeting with Jess we staked out the best free shows and avoided the hecklers with flyers. The shows were mainly comedy but we found an amazing magic show with Dave, the ginger ninja magician. I also thought it was obligatory to see Macbeth while in Scotland.
The city has had an amazing atmosphere because of the Fringe Festival but tomorrow I will head back down south to Cardiff and Bath.
It's been just over a month since I left home and not long now until I settle down in Paris. I wish I had more time to see more of Europe, but I guess it just means I'll have to come back again!

From Scotland
xxxx


No comments:

Post a Comment